Salvation Is Through The Faithfulness of Jesus and We believe it!!
Rom 3:21-26 Along with Eph 2:1-10, this passage is Paul’s most complete statement on the plan of Salvation. It contains the following elements:
- Righteousness is “apart from the law” Rom. 3:21, meaning not earned by law keeping v. 20; Gal. 2:16.
- Rather, it comes “through the faithfulness of the Messiah and we believe it!” 3:22, KJV; Gal. 2:16; Eph. 2:8.
- Since all have sinned Rom. 3:23, all deserve death 6:23; Gal. 3:10.
- God does not give people the death they deserve (Psa 103:10-14), but what they do not deserve, the free gift of grace (Rom. 3:24; Eph. 2:8), which they accept by faith Rom. 3:25; see also v. 22.
- The gift is provided because of Christ’s death on the cross. His atoning sacrifice not only turned away the penalty of sin (“propitiation,” v. 25; 1 John 2:2; 4:10), but also provided for human “redemption” (a word signifying the purchase of a captive, Rom. 3:24; Mark 10:45; Eph. 1:7), “justification” (a word meaning “To Set Right”, Rom. 3:24; 4:6), “reconciliation” (a healing of relationships, 5:10; 2 Cor. 5:19), and cleansing from the pollution of sin Heb. 9:13–14, 22–23; 10:1–2.
- Central to God’s saving work in Christ is His sacrificial “blood” Rom. 3:25. It is His shed blood that stands as the foundation for each of the metaphors of Salvation mentioned in point 5 above 3:25; 5:9; Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:20; Heb. 9:13–14. In other words, in His death Christ died the death that belongs to sinners that they might have life 2 Cor. 5:21; Gal. 3:10–13. On different aspects of the work of Christ, see note on Matt. 1:21.
- Summary: God is faithful to His covenant even though we are not! The good news of the Gospel is that God will make us righteous (Faithful) apart from the deeds of the law if we simply trust Jesus with our lives! Psa 31:14-16, 1John 5:11-13
- The Great Exchange: My sin for His Righteousness!!! 2Cor 5:21
We are saved by the faithfulness of the Messiah and we believe it! Rom 1:17, Rom 3:3, Rom 3:21,22, Rom 3:26